About Clapham Circles Then & Now
Clapham Circles are a network of friends, powerfully bound together by shared moral and spiritual values, religious mission and love for one another. These are committed as community leaders to influence the city for the common good.
The Historic (original) Clapham Circle:
- They were unabashed Christians, believing themselves accountable to God in every respect. They came from the various spheres of influence public, private and social.
- They regularly met to discuss their objectives because they believed in the importance of community. Many initiatives sprang forth from this community of fellowship.
- Their meetings centered on worship and prayer, seeking to know the mind of God on the issues that confronted them.
- Their work impacted issues at every level from the individual to the organizational to the systemic.
- They collaborated with those of common cause but differing faith without losing their Christian identity.
- They were very focused on the application of biblical principles to both their own workplace as well as their causes.
Contemporary Clapham Circles:
- The core members are followers of Jesus Christ, the risen son of the living God. We strive to be like Jesus in discipleship and community.
- Each initiative is a matter of demonstrable biblical concern to God and there is an active, responsible, accountable community surrounding the initiative.
- The meetings are marked not only for their discussion of the initiative topic, but with worship and prayer.
- The initiatives will include not only the well-being of the city but also the propagation.
- The initiative impacts every level of societal change, individual, organizational and systemic.
- The initiative’s strategies are comprised of short and long term goals. Short term victories should be purposefully pursued.